Annuity Industry Leaders Meet in D.C. to Address Compliance, Regulatory and Government Relations Issues
This year’s NAFA Annuity Leadership Forum was held June 12 – 14 at the Westin Arlington Gateway, gathering nearly 50 leading insurance carriers and independent marketing organizations to discuss the most important compliance, regulatory, legal and government relations issues surrounding fixed annuities.
Many of the attendees spent the first day of the conference participating in NAFA’s annual Capitol Hill walk meeting with members of Congress and the U.S. Senate educating those they met with on the benefits of annuities. With Capitol Hill just outside the door of the event, attendees heard from national experts, discussed industry innovations and debated the impact of key issues facing the annuity industry and the economy.
Key topics presented at the 2013 Leadership Forum included:
- Tax Reform and Political Outlook for Annuity Tax Laws, Mark Griffin (Managing Partner, Davis & Harman)
- Trade Winds: The Annuity Outlook from the ACLI (J. Bruce Ferguson, ACLI)
- The Catch-22 of Source of Funds (John Olsen, Olsen Financial Group)
- Uniform Processing and Reporting Standards
- New Compliance Rules and the Changing IMO Landscape
- Legal Issues and Annuities (Joan Boros, Esq., Jorden Burt, LLC)
- State and Federal Review by Capcity Advocates
According to Kim O’Brien, president and CEO of NAFA, “The event brings together wide-ranging experience and expertise in compliance, marketing, sales and those with a passion for their industry. The Forum is truly a unique networking event for industry professionals to work together with their colleagues in the furtherance of fixed annuities as a vital component of the financial services industry.”